Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lupercalia to Valentine?


Once upon a time there was a pagan holiday called Lupercalia. My extensive research has taught me that The Lupercalia was celebrated on the fifteenth day before the kalends of March (February 15th). I also learned that Lupercalia was an ancient Roman fertility festival.

Some time in the 3rd century it was decided that two Christian martyrs should be celebrated. Both were named St. Valentine.

One of the saints was a priest and doctor who was beaten and beheaded while on the Flaminian Way, Rome, Italy in the year 269. A year later, the Bishop of Terni met the same fate in the same place.


So what does this mean? How did the day that was celebration of fertility and sex get associated with the two Valentines? What does it have to do with them giving their heads to . . .

Oh.

Never mind.

0 comments:

Comments

Please leave comments or constructive criticism on my entries. If you would like a reply, email me at kulwar@gmail dot com

My Blog List

  • - Michael Michael died March 26, 2022. He spent 8 days in Hospice, was free of pain, coherent, had many visitors. It has been so wonderful to see all the lov...
    2 years ago