Sunday, August 20, 2006

What is Art?


First of all, a little explanation. This is not the photograph that I wanted. I will return to see if I can achieve what is in my mind. That is to have the flowers hanging on the wall in focus. I was walking and neglected to bring the needed lens.

I shot anyway. I hope to finish with two images that are of the same subject but different.

Now . . . what is art? If you hire someone to paint something is it art? If you hire Picasso to paint a Curtis Elite sign is it suddenly art? If I paint a soup can is it art? If Andy Warhol does the painting?

Most "art" through history has been commissioned. Commission Rembrandt to paint a protrait is it less art than if the portrait came from his inner inspiration? Is a photograph shot for an ad less artistic than a Stieglitz shot of the Flat Iron Building? Thousand of photographs have been made of the Flat Iron Building from identical angles. What makes one better than the next?

Is art merely subjective? Art is in the eye of the beholder?

0 comments:

Comments

Please leave comments or constructive criticism on my entries. If you would like a reply, email me at kulwar@gmail dot com

My Blog List

  • - Michael Michael died March 26, 2022. He spent 8 days in Hospice, was free of pain, coherent, had many visitors. It has been so wonderful to see all the lov...
    2 years ago